Classification means classifying, categorizing, and sorting people and things into the same or different groups—the process of organizing uses one or more criteria for grouping. Similarly, a classification essay in writing has to organize and sort things together. A writer organizes or groups the ideas, characters, or objects with similar attributes and classifies them. The members of the same class must share similar characteristics. Writing a classification essay means dividing group members based on a specific criterion. A classification essay requires principles of classification.
Classification essays embody the relationship of an idea or an attribute of something with the whole part. For writing a classification essay, a writer must have the ability to find logical connections between ideas and their different aspects. It requires rigour and knowing the process of writing a classification essay. For that reason, this article is an attempt to guide its readers on how to write exceptional classification essays.
Definition of Classification Essay
In essence, classification essays are essays that deal with the classification of organized, logical connections. A classification essay requires a writer to sort specific contents of the paper into categories. Each category sorted by the author deepens the reader’s understanding of the particular topic. It is also known as a logical essay. Divisions based on logic require breaking down complex subjects into smaller ones that make the issue easier to understand.
What Should Be The Basis Of Classification?
Writers should bear in mind the following things while writing a classification essay.
- Sort things or ideas category wise
- All of the categories should have a single organizational basis
- Provide relevant examples that fit into that category
It is essential to consider what criterion you will use to classify things for classification essays. You can get help from an affordable essay writing service. However, there might be more than one organizing principle for categorizing things and ideas. For example, if you have to classify employees working in an organization, you can divide them based on the following criteria:
- Favourite colour
Classification based on hobbies would require you to make a separate category of each sport and organize accordingly. Similarly, categorizing based on age requires you to specify the age range. The critical thing to remember is not to include too many categories because it will weaken your classification.
Single Organizing Principle
Organizing principle pertains to the basic premise, and things or ideas which nearly share the same attributes derive their classification from that assumption. Therefore, while categorizing things for your classification essay, avoid using more than one organizing principle. For example, if you classify laptops based on performance, do not categorize them based on price or body type.
What Are The Different Types Of Classification?
Classification essays break down the topic into different degrees. Classification based on degree judges the value of anything. For example:
Another example of classification by degree could be:
- Small (Small-sized laptops)
- Medium (Medium-sized laptops)
- Large (Large-sized laptops)
A classification essay breaks down the topic into different components. For example, if you are writing about the Government, you can break it down into the following parts:
You can further divide them into lower or upper assemblies, political executives and permanent executives, and lower or upper judiciary.
A classification essay describes important features or attributes of the subject. For example, if you are writing about employees working in an organization. You can list their qualities or vices after categorizing them as per age and gender, as mentioned above.
- Work Ethic
- Interpersonal Skills
Chronology is a crucial component of a classification essay. It breaks the topic into different periods. For example, if you are writing about art, you can classify it chronologically in the following manner.
- Classical Art
- Modern Art
- Post-Modern Art
Tips For Writing Classification Essays
Choosing a Topic
The first step of writing a classification essay is to choose an appropriate topic. You will have to do a lot of brainstorming with your English conversation to decide on a suitable topic for your essay. It will help if you keep the following things in mind while selecting the topic.
- Decide on a topic which you can logically divide into different groups
- The selected topic must have clear-cut categories for comparison
- Choose proper number of classifications
- Include the significant classes only
- The clustering should be on the basis of well-researched information
- Analyze the importance of different categories that can support your topic
A classification essay requires a lot of preliminary research, and you will have to approach the topic from different angles. Search for ideas for classification and find relevant information and examples to support your arguments.
Develop a Thesis Statement
A thesis statement is your essay’s central argument, which gives direction to the entire essay. Develop a strong thesis statement, and it should include the following things:
- Describe what groups of people or ideas you want to classify
- What is the basis of your classification?
- What categories are you using for classification?
- What is your organizing principle?
In a nutshell, a thesis statement for a classification essay should inform its readers about the main approaches you will use for your classification essay.
The introduction is the fundamental part of your essay, and it should include the following things:
- Attention grabber
- Purpose of the essay with supporting arguments
- Include your thesis statement
The body section of a classification essay comprises three or more paragraphs. The number of paragraphs depends upon how many categories of classification you intend to cover. Body paragraphs should have the following things:
- Every paragraph should start with a topic sentence
- Each paragraph should have sufficient evidence and supporting arguments to support the thesis statement
- Include real-life examples to give credibility to your claims
- Each paragraph should have a particular category and relevant information to justify it
- Logical flow and clarity
- Each paragraph should end with a linking statement that emphasizes earlier statements
The conclusion part should have the following attributes.
- Summarize your topic and comment on each category of classification
- Restate your thesis statement
- Justify your reasons for arriving at a particular conclusion
- Keep it brief and avoid repetitions
Classification essays require logical reasoning and analytical skills. It requires narrowing down the subject matter into smaller components. They take a lot of time since you will have to research every classification category. If you make a clear outline, it will help you deal with everything methodically. If you carefully revise and edit your essay, you will write an outstanding classification essay. Follow the guidelines mentioned above and start writing your classification essays.