Commitment to the six fundamental values even in the face of adversity is known as academic integrity. These fundamental values include honesty, fairness, trust, respect, courage, and responsibility. The basic foundation of teaching, learning, research is honesty which is a prerequisite for the full adherence of fairness, trust, responsibility, and respect.
The teaching community strictly prohibits all the activities that jeopardize the welfare of educational institutions and diminish the price of educational degrees. All the activities like cheating, fraud, theft, lying that can tarnish the reputation of the institution are strictly prohibited. Integrity is the adherence to moral principles and incorporation of ethical conduct to establish an empire with a perfect condition.
Areas of Concern That Tarnishes Academic Integrity
- The fraud or cheating assessment that students indulge in for the assessments and assignments.
- Using someone else’s work and not giving them credit, that plagiarism is also a great concern.
- The unfair way of granting the grades and being partial on the part of the educator, known as grade subjectivism.
- The research is carried out without permission or in a way that is inconsistent with the standards and the ethics. Dishonesty in a publication that is writing or publishing certain facts and things that are misguiding or make false claims.
- The dishonesty in making decisions is administrative dishonesty for the students and the faculty.
Six Fundamental Values of Academic Integrity
Academic institutions have an advanced quest for the concept of honesty, truth, and knowledge. This is done through intellectual as well as personal honesty in doing the task of learning and teaching.
The integrity of academic institutions fosters the concept of mutual trust. The arena of trust supports the free exchange of ideas, which allows scholars to reach their full potential.
Clear and transparent expectations, as well as standards, are established by the academic community to support the concept of fairness in the interaction of students with the faculties.
The academic communities make sure that people with interactive, participative, and cooperative nature are welcomed wholeheartedly. Their opinions and ideas are honored and respected to the fullest.
The foundation of these is the ability to be accountable and leading the group by example. It is required that actions are taken whenever wrongdoing is encountered.
The people having courage are often misunderstood as they are thought to have less fear. This is not a negative characteristic. Rather, it is the capacity to act according to one’s own will without having a fear of anyone. But these things should be according to the conviction, and the conduct should be followed.
Importance of Academic Integrity
Academic integrity is quite important not for any technical reason but for the sake of peace of mind. Following the academic integrity principles, you know that you are doing the right thing. This reduces a lot of unimportant stress from your life and thereby making the person happier, healthier, and yes, of course, productive.
Penalties for Breaching Academic Integrity
The students can face various penalties for their academic misconduct. Most often, the students do not get caught for their academic dishonesty, but whenever this happens, they are to be penalized.
The penalties for breaching academic integrity include –
- They have to repeat the assignments or the tasks assigned to them.
- They are dismissed from the portion of that task that may affect their grades.
- They may be expelled out from the institution.
- If they have done some serious breaching related to academic integrity, they may also get criminal charges.
The idea of academic integrity is based on the creation of your ideas and acknowledging the information, completing assignments independently. The ethical codes are to be followed to promote academic integrity and thus creating an environment that is free from misconduct and full of positive energy. This will enable better functioning of the institutions also. Want to know more? Get connected with a reliable assignment writing services soon!