When Should You See an Orthopedic Specialist

Orthopedic Specialist

Disclaimer: All content and media on our website Flemicon is created and published online for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. Read full disclaimer

Visit a doctor or a primary healthcare physician when you experience any prolonged discomfort or pain in your body. Though a general physician will diagnose the cause of such happenings, one can visit an Orthopedic specialist if they experience pain or discomfort about joints, muscles, and bones.

An Orthopedic doctor treats conditions that primarily affect the bones, ligaments around them, joints, muscles, and tendons. They perform surgical or non-surgical treatments to such parts of the body caused by prolonged illness or injuries. They possess expertise in effectively treating such conditions as they specialize in treating the musculoskeletal system.

Signs that indicate an appointment with an Orthopedic Specialist:

Listed below are a few indicators to consulting an Orthopedic doctor:

  • Injury or Accident:

A person involved in an accident should get treated by an Orthopedist. It becomes compulsory if the respective person experiences pain or swelling after that. Precautions must be taken, and proper care and rest must be provided to the affected bone or muscle to avoid worsening of the condition. If attention is not given to a sustained pain or sprain that is experienced for more than 2 days, then the tissues and muscles related to it can worsen the pain.

  • Swelling:

When there is pain along with swelling in joints or other parts of the body, it is advisable to consult an Orthopedic specialist. A sprain, fracture, ligament tears, or even twisting your ankles can cause pressure in your muscles and bones that cause swelling. If unattended, this may result in loss of mobility of the corresponding muscles, and hence proper care should be taken.

  • Pain in Joints:

Joint pains can be a serious issue and must be diagnosed with utmost attention by a specialist. If pain occurs over a continuous period, it should be nursed and diagnosed immediately. All joint pains have to be consulted with an Orthopedic doctor, especially shoulder pain that aggravates at nightfall. This is an outcome of overdoing of muscles/ bones or injuries. It needs to be treated and attended to well.

  • Arthritis:

Arthritis has become very common but at the same time goes unnoticed by many. It affects the joints and the tissues around the joints majorly. It usually has symptoms of swelling, joint pain, joint tenderness, and stiffness. This condition relatively worsens with aging and hence becomes very important to visit an Orthopedic specialist regularly for betterment.

  • Chronic pain:

Chronic pain is a pain or discomfort that is predominantly experienced for more than 3 months. It may be caused by injury, accident, or any normal daily task but does not heal over time. It might be an indicator of any serious condition and hence requires a checkup with an Orthopedic doctor who can diagnose and treat it at an early stage.

  • Trouble in performing day-to-day activities:

Mild pain and aching are not given priority. But if one experiences pain or continuous discomfort in any muscles, joints, stiffness, or pain that stops or changes the way we function or move, it should be checked. Instability while standing or walking should be diagnosed by an expert if experienced over an period.

  • Numbness or Immobility:

When you see that a joint is becoming stiff, not allowing you to bend or straighten a muscle fully, then you must have a word with your Orthopedist. It could be due to dislocation of a bone and must be treated without delay. Radiating arm or leg pain, also known as a pinched nerve, has symptoms of numbness, weakness, or tingling. It indicates nerve compression.

  • Repetitive Injuries:

This factor is common with sportspersons or people who regularly do a lot of exercises/weightlifting. These activities are part and parcel of their day-to-day routine and hence pressurize certain joints or muscles over a continuous period. These repetitive injuries, such as sprains or ligament tears, have to be diagnosed by an Orthopedist for proper treatment.

Closure: People seeking diagnosis or treatment for conditions related to bones, joints, and muscles must visit an Orthopedic specialist. An expert in this field of medicine can suggest treatment plans that best suit the corresponding individual. Therapy, medication, surgery services, physiotherapy, and many more ways of effective treatment are provided by Orthopedic doctors for healthier relief and comfort.